Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Grammar-O

Grammar-O Wednesdays
with Ocieanna


Happy Wednesday, grammarians! Ready to test your mad grammar skills?

I hope your Thanksgiving was resplendent with prayers of gratitude for the many blessings we’ve been given. And I hope you ate lots of turkey too.

Okay, the suspense is over! Have you been wondering what the answers to the sentences from two weeks ago are? I took a break last week, but I’m back!

If you’re new, here’s the way Grammar-O works: Each week (except for last week!) I post a few sentences with grammar, punctuation, spelling, or other writing misdemeanors. Your job is to find the infraction and set it right. If you possess the courage, you’re welcome to post your corrections in the comments, or you may simply keep your grammar to yourself. Then next week, I’ll post the answers.

Have fun!

This week’s new batch:

1) Yesterday me and my husband celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary.

2) I think we compliment eachother well.

3) I pondered the seasons of our life together, relishing the memories.

4) The carefree pre-kid years seem a distant memory. Vacations. Interesting jobs. Late-night jaunts to coffee shops with friends and especially alone time.

5) And then kids—everything else is literally a blur.


Remember, the point is to hunt out the blatantly illegal, not matters of preference or opinion.

Good luck and have fun!


The corrected ones from last week:

1) A great aspect about homeschooling are all the things I get to learn.
Correct: A great aspect about homeschooling is all the things I get to learn.

2) We’re studying Earth Science this weak-rocks, manely.
Correct: We’re studying earth science this week—rocks mainly.

3) Some rocks, called igneous were formed from hot lava, and some, called sedimentary came from sediments building up in layers.
Correct: Some rocks, called igneous, were formed from hot lava, and some, called sedimentary, came from sediments building up in layers.

4) I enjoy learning but I must admit, my kids enthusiasm thrills me most.
Correct: I enjoy learning, but I must admit, my kids’ enthusiasm thrills me most.

5) The other day my six-year-old boy said he wished he had a t-shirt with the 4 main layer’s of the earth on it. Now, thats pretty cool.
Correct: The other day my six-year-old boy said he wished he had a t-shirt with the four main layers of the earth on it. Now, that’s pretty cool.

Well, how’d you do? Did you fix all the sentences?

*Disclaimer: I’m by no means perfect at this. I use The Chicago Manual of Style and Webster’s Dictionary as my sources.